The lymphatic system is responsible for helping fluid and waste leave the body and for regulating the immune system. When the lymphatic system becomes blocked, fluid builds up and stagnates, causing the entire system to become toxic, making us feel sluggish and more susceptible to viral or contagious diseases. By stimulating this system through massage, it works more efficiently, which in turn boosts the immune system, clears blockages, eliminates toxins, transports nutrients to cells and increases the metabolism. The lymphatic system is responsible for the production of antibodies for the immune system and the technique improves the environment of the antibody, boosting its resistance to infection.
What does it involve?
Lymphatic drainage is essentially a form of massage carried out by a specialist practitioner. Unlike some other forms of massage, lymphatic drainage utilises a very light pressure combined with soft pumping movements in the direction of the lymph nodes.
What is it good for?
A lymph system which is in need of treatment can show itself through tiredness, premature ageing, puffiness and swollen joints, cellulite, spotty skin or acne, migraine, high blood pressure, scarring, broken capillaries in the face, stress. Lymphatic drainage massage is especially useful for individuals who seem to suffer regularly from common illnesses like colds and flu and poor immunity. It is also recommended for people who lead sedentary lifestyles, or those who want to reduce puffiness or swelling and water retention. It has been cited as having a positive effect on problem skin, cellulite, dysfunctional respiratory systems and people with low energy. Lymphatic drainage massage boosts the immune system so, as well as helping the body ward off illness, treatment can facilitate general feelings of health and vitality. It also has a positive physical effect, improving the appearance of the skin and reducing puffiness caused by water retention, poor circulation or pregnancy. As with other massage, it can help with pain from fractures and sprains and rheumatism, and it promotes the body’s own healing mechanisms. Lymphatic drainage massage utilises very light pressure
Other benefits or indications for use:
- ACNE:- Removes waste products and stimulates the connective tissue beneath, reduces inflammation
- SCARRING:- helps scars to heal and reduces the impact of scarring and regenerates tissues
- ROSACEA:- Inflammation is reduced, broken capillaries are less obvious
- MIGRAINE:- Relaxation and pleasurable feelings are induced due to stimulation of the parasympathetic branch.
- SKIN elasticity is improved
- FACIAL ERYTHEMA:- broken capillaries look less obvious
- CONGESTED SKIN:- The removal of waste products is stimulated from the connective tissue beneath
- CHRONIC ECZEMA:- Inflammation is reduced, skin healing is stimulated and tissue regeneration is stimulated
- SWOLLEN ANKLES:- Lymph production and drainage is increased, taking excess fluid out of the area
- FATIGUED LEGS:- Resting position of the legs during treatment aids fatigue. Lymph production and drainage of lymph is stimulated, draining excess fluid and waste products out of the area. Relaxation and pleasurable feelings in the legs are induced due to the stimulation of the parasympathetic branch of the nervous system.
- ALLERGIES:- Histamine production could be reduced by the stimulation of parasympathetic division of the autonomic nervous system, inflammation is reduced, Oedema is reduced.
- INFLAMMATION is reduced.
- CELLULITE:- Metabolic waste, poisons and trapped water are removed from the skin through stimulation of lymph drainage.
- PREMENSTRUAL:- Relaxation is induced to the stimulation of the parasympathetic nerves, Fluid retention is reduced due to the increased lymph production and drainage, skin conditions improve due to the simulation of the connective tissue and increased drainage.
- DETOXIFYING PROGRAMME:- Metabolic waste poisons and trapped water will be removed.
- TOOTH ACHE:- This may be stimulated or reduced depending on the cause of the problem.
When you visit me for a lymphatic drainage massage I will begin with a thorough consultation where I will go through your medical history – this all remains confidential. I will then explain what you will expect during this massage treatment. Then i will show you where to undress, how to lay on the couch and cover yourself up with towels. The room will be warm and dimly lit with relaxing music. Please remember if you are under the guidance of a consultant for any medical condition especially cancer please bring with you WRITTEN consent from your consultant prior to this treatment or else i cannot do it.